I made my very first fur bear earlier this year. I had a kit that I got from the local teddy bear craft store… I would start off well, then get a bit discouraged, then have another crack a few months later. I really wanted to have him finished for the local Arts & Crafts Show, so I pushed on! I got there in the end!
Introducing… Geronimo. He was inspired by Matt Smith in Doctor Who. I made all his clothes, including the bow tie and fez, and I even made him a sonic screwdriver 🙂
- Fez – Tally’s Treasury has a tutorial on how to make a fez. I just scaled it down for my bear.
- Bow Tie – The Littlest Studio has a tutorial on how to make a bow tie. Again, I just scaled it down.
- Trousers – Shwin & Shwin has a pattern for some baby pants that I used as inspiration. I pretty much sat Geronimo on some paper and traced around his legs and used that.
- Shirt – Nina Caporale has a tutorial on how to make a shirt for a bear, and I just added sleeves to it and used snaps for buttons.
- Braces – I just used some scraps of fabric to make a tube then ironed it flat and used snaps to hold them in place.
- Jacket – Lion Brand have a set you can knit, so just used this pattern 🙂 I did lengthen the sleeves and I added some elbow pads too.
- Sonic Screwdriver – I used scraps of white, gold/light brown, green and black and sewed it all up and added some elastic so he could hold it properly.
I’m very pleased to say that Geronimo won Champion Bear at the Arts & Crafts Show 🙂